Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The fiction story title Internal by Brian Evenson was very interesting. I like how he approaches the overall story and breaks it down into subgroups i.e. my internship, My Instructions, A Summation of Rauchian Theory, etc. The layout of the story hit me first. From the title Internal and the first section entitled, My Internship, it instantly made me think that this could possibly have to do with an internship in the medical field. I later went on to learn that he is a psychologist. Throughout the entire story I feel the writer is very stern and detached; almost cold. The writer also makes Dr. Rauch seem very stern and mysterious. I like the line where he states he always addresses one with, “a conspiratorial air.” I got this feeling as I read through the story. I like how he consciously included that in the beginning of the text, to almost make the reader subconsciously feel that way. As he refers to the writer as, “hardly the t typical intern” it makes me thinks that the writer is in some way special to Dr. Rauch. Maybe he was easily able to use the writer? I also get the feeling that the writer is afraid and intimidated by Dr. Rauch, and I think that is all a part of the Doctors plan to use the writer. I feel as though the intern is being manipulated and used throughout the entire story. Even when he is required to switch doctors because he disappointed Dr. Rauch, you can still sense some manipulation from the psychologist throughout. Overall he was very descriptive, and gave off the vibe that he was in fact a psychology intern.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good. see if you can expand and include more examples from the text. 8/10

    ReplyDelete